INGREDIENTS SPICY GINGERBREAD COOKIE:
- 750 gr all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 C/ 8 oz unsalted butter
- 200 gr dark-brown sugar
- 5 t ground ginger
- 4 t ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 t ground cloves
- ½ t ground nutmeg
- 1 t finely ground pepper
- 1 1/2 t kosher salt
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- ½ t almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 340 gr molasses
INGREDIENTS STRUCTURAL GINGERBREAD/ SPICY AND STRONG GINGERBREAD:
- 1501 gr All Purpose Flour
- 8 oz Unsalted Butter, softened
- 8 oz Vegetable Shortening
- 398 gr Dark Brown Sugar
- 60 gr Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 ½ t Baking Soda
- 1 T Kosher Salt
- 1 T Black Pepper
- 1 T Vanilla Extract
- 1 t Almond Extract
- 850 gr of Molasses
- 2 eggs
INGREDIENTS AMERICAN BUTTERCREAM:
- 1 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 6 C confectioners’ sugar
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 t kosher salt
SPICY GINGERBREAD COOKIE DIRECTIONS:
Yield: 3.5 lbs of Dough
1. 350-degree oven.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a large bowl. Set aside.
3. Put butter, brown sugar, spices, salt and extract in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until fluffy. Add in (1 at a time) eggs and then molasses. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Divide dough into thirds; wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate until cold.
4. Roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface to a 1/4-inch thick. Cut and space 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets.
5. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.
6. Bake until crisp but not dark, 12 to 14 minutes.
7. Let cool on sheets on wire racks.
STRUCTURAL GINGERBREAD/ SPICY AND STRONG GINGERBREAD DIRECTIONS:
Yield: 7 lbs of Dough
1. Bake at 350 degrees
2. Whisk together flour and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In the base of your mixer, cream butter, shortening, brown sugar, salt, pepper, spices and extracts with the paddle attachment. When creamed, lighter in color and texture, add eggs and molasses.
4. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture a bit at a time until it is all incorporated.
5. Divide dough into fourths and chill until firm.
6. Remove from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured work surface to ¼” thick. Cut shapes and space evenly on cookie sheet.
7. Refrigerate until firm about 15 min.
8. Bake until crisp, but not dark. For larger pieces heat oven to 325 and bake longer to set in center.
9. Let cool on wire racks.
AMERICAN BUTTERCREAM DIRECTIONS:
Yield: 2 ½ lbs.
1. Combine ingredients in a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and mix on low until incorporated, scrapping down the sides of the bowl.
2. Once incorporated and powdered sugar is combined turn mixer to high and whip for approximately 5 minutes or until light and fluffy and no lumps of powdered sugar remain.
3. Add milk or cream to thin if need be.